Wednesday 19 June 2013

Journey's End

Thought I was moving forward
And I knew which way to go
Thought I didn’t have to stop for directions
That my confusion wouldn’t show
Wondered many times if I knew what I was doing
If I even had a master plan
Only to find my grip on reality
Slipping through my opened hands

Once there was a time not too long ago
When a smile would melt my heart
Now I’m keeping time with a broken watch
Keeps taking me back to the start
Heavy feet pounding the broken pavement
A sleeping city lost in her dreams
Find it harder to hold it all together
When it keeps unravelling at the seams

Soul… where are you?
I turn to look to see if you’re there
To find you’ve faded in the air
Heart… are you true?
Somehow I’ve gone and lost my way
Chasing the sun through yesterday

Heading out alone to a distant horizon
And the road ahead isn’t bending
Looking for a guide to lead the way
Holding onto hope when that light is fading
While closing my eyes at night to sleep
Find the thoughts in my head churning
Trying to find absolution somewhere
To absolve my conscience burning

The bread has gone dry, the wine sour
The table has yet to be cleared
None of the guests have arrived
And the cups have disappeared
Turned out of bed hit the street
Made my way slowly through an empty world
Watching strangers faces passing by me
My breath in smoke trails curls...

Soul… where are you?
I turn to look to see if you’re there
To find you’ve faded in the air
Heart… are you true?
Somehow I’ve gone and last my way
Chasing the sun through yesterday
Only to fade away…
...to nothing

The dust settles
The crows fly
I’m looking for that place
Where the sea meets the sky
And maybe then

I can be free

No comments:

Post a Comment